Friday, July 03, 2015

George's apology

George Takei has apologized for referring to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas as "a clown in blackface" in response to Thomas' dissent in Obergefell v. Hodges. Many people who were offended might think that Mr. Takei's apology is not adequate but I would like to point out something that I think is rather important.

Many times when people who make offensive statements with regard to politics or political figures, they end up apologizing in a manner that indicates that they are not really sorry about what they said, but rather that anyone has called them out on it. The apology usually goes something like, "I'm sorry if I offended anyone," or, "I'd like to apologize to those who were offended." In contrast, Mr. Takei's apology states:
While I continue to vehemently disagree with Justice Thomas, the words I chose, said in the heat of anger, were not carefully considered. 
I am reminded, especially on this July 4th holiday, that though we have the freedom to speak our minds, we must use that freedom judiciously. Each of us, as humans, have hot-button topics that can set us off, and Justice Thomas had hit mine, that is clear. But my choice of words was regrettable, not because I do not believe Justice Thomas is deeply wrong, but because they were ad hominem and uncivil, and for that I am sorry.
Note that, while he does not apologize for his belief that Thomas is wrong - a belief he has every right to hold - he also does not qualify his apology. He says he is sorry, period. Although he says Thomas hit his "hot button topic," he claims it as a contributing factor to his error, but not an excuse that absolves him of responsibility for that error. While he may not admit to as egregious an offense as many believe him to have committed, and they're probably right, his apology is to everyone.

No comments: